Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sick days and little successes.

So much has changed in the months since I started working outside of the home. Work is great and I am finding new ways of getting out for some adult time. And that is important. It was something I never did when I was first divorced. It was something I rarely did (other than official AF functions) when I was married. I do get out though and it is worth it to make that time and hire the sitter even though it does take away from what time I do have with the kids.
But today I am home.. sick and sore. I truly hate days like this because I am a very active person. I like to be busy. I HATE being sloth. I move at the speed of "What's next?" to quote my favorite tv show.(Bonus points for if you can name the show in the comments)
My weekend consisted of dress shopping for my littler girl and assembling furniture for the patio. I love it and it was worth it..but dang.. I am paying today. Sore. and to top it off... having major tummy troubles.. to the point my cube mates could hear them........... Yeah.... soak that one in for a moment.
Moving on. Sick days have certainly changed! I have 6 through the year.. and the kids.. wellllll. That is where we hit a wall. Until a few weeks ago,  I could count on my mom to watch them if needed. I also have several SAHMs that are willing to step in as well where needed. Single parenting has taught me many things and one of those things is plan ahead and plan often. Contingency plans on top of contingency plans. And it has worked well for me so far. I have a list of sitters for adult nights out that do not mind spending the night and being dropped off wherever needed in the morning and a list for those days when a fever spikes or a tummy is upset.
That is one of those things I think should be taught more by our parents. I know my daughters and I spend time talking about the fact that, if something does not work out at first, you have to move ahead and try the next thing. Hopefully that serves them well. If at first you don't succeed, try try again!
And that is something else we have to remind ourselves and our kids. You are not always going to succeed..but you should never stop trying. Even when you feel beaten down and put upon. Even when you feel like you have given your all and you still have not won. And maybe even when you have had someone let you down, hurt you, or even abandon you. You cannot quit. You have to go on. You have to keep trying. For ever door that closes, a window opens. For every dark cloud, a silver lining. For every evil, something good emerges.
And so, as  my stomach has let me down today, I have pressed on, written this blog, searched for things and finalized my plans for the garden. And tomorrow I will get up and try to go to work again. Maybe this time, I will succeed.
Much love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment