Thursday, March 7, 2013

Changing titles SAHM to SWM

     Well, a few months ago I finally did the thing I did not think I wanted to do nor thought I even could do... I got a full time job! I really lucked out as I asked some friends if they knew of anyone hiring and I almost immediately got asked to apply for a job at a large local bank that I think anyone could recognize but I will not say exactly which one.. just to keep things on the up and up. So now I work in front of a computer all day and honestly I am very very happy! I work with great people and I laugh every day. But... I was thinking about it the other day and.. well I am no longer in that awesome club.. the SAHM Stay At Home Moms. I am now a Single Working Mother. It used to terrify me when I would think about being one of those working moms. Would my kids miss me? Would I screw them up because I was not there every moment? What if someone gets sick?
    Well.. each and every one of these things has come up. Several times I have had to rely on other people to pick one of them up from school or stay with them because of a snow day that they had but I did not or because one of them got sick or whatever. And it all worked out. Am I busier? Heck yes! Is the house a bit messier? Ummm.. I plead the 5th on that one (YES) Do we have times when the kids say they miss me when I am not home when they get home? Absolutely! Do I miss getting them off to school in the mornings and snuggling their warm little selves when they just wake up? Yes, but I get my weekends and it makes me appreciate those moments even more.
     And I do find that now we spend more time together on the weekends. We clean together and go outside together and we have more money to go do fun things so not every weekend is spent sitting looking at the wall like we once did. The flip side is that homework is sometimes not finished till right before bedtime because someone or another needed help and I was not home yet. And laundry is almost never caught up. And there are nearly always dishes in the sink. But again.. I would say we are doing pretty darn good for the amount of time I have been working now.
     So to all of those moms who went back to work when their babies were tiny and to the ones who waited for the day after kindergarten.. I appreciate how much of a sacrifice that is for you. And I know you are doing it for them just as much as you do it for you. And to all those lucky moms (that I was glad to be one of for years and years) who get to be there for every wake up and goodnight.. hang onto those moments for all of us moms who can't.
Love you all xx

No comments:

Post a Comment